Thursday, June 12, 2008

6/12/2008

Oh boy what a hectic day...

I got a gift certificate for my birthday to Petsmart because my mom got it mixed it with Petland, where I usually go. Its ok though... Petsmart has lots of freshwater fish items and amazingly they are low in prices. I went to Petsmart on a mission to find some decent plants to put in the 10 so the fry will have somewhere to swim about once they are born. The fish guy there was helpful(not as helpful as Mark) and I asked him about a few plants. I thought the Cobomba plant looked nice and it looked like the fry would enjoy them. I bought ten of them... OMG!!! I put one in... just one in the tank and it EXPLODED all over the place! My filter was covered in less than 2 minutes. These plants are defiantly not good for a 10 gallon tank. There was pieces of it everywhere and the only ones really enjoying it were the Kribs. My other fish were going nuts! I was almost in tears because the way the tank looked I was going to have to do another water change after I just did one a a few days ago. I personally don't mind doing water changes but I didn't want to stress the fish out, especially while they are spawning. So I pulled out the 1 Cobomba I had and then went back to Petsmart for a refund or exchange. After that incident I decided to go with fake plants. They are very beautiful and I do have some sprouting plant buds that are growing everyday. I also bought a 8 inch net to catch some of the Cobomba flying around the tank because my 2 inch wasn't cutting it.

When I got home I was pleasantly surprised... the filter had nearly sucked up most of the Cobomba. Of course I had to pull the filter out and remove all the plant that was stuck to it. Wow I didn't think that it did that good of a job. I was wrong.

I took the new plants and rinsed them off with warm water and then I placed them in the tank. I have to say they look fantastic! They look so real and i think the Kribs and the fry will be happy now.

I forgot to mention I bought a Moon light white and a Moon light link in blue. I read that the colors look so natural that they help in spawning. The lights look really pretty and it is very calming.

I hope that with everything going on in the tank today that I did startle the fish too much. After this I plan to do no more remodeling for awhile. The Kribs don't need any stress if they are going to breed.

After I put the plants in the female returned to the cave and hasn't left there. The male is moving around the plants checking things out. Hopefully now that things have settled the spawning should continue. It is now a watch and learn process from here on in but I will keep you posted.

Until Tomorrow... Just keep swimming!!!
Nessxxx

Tank with new plants...



Tank with moon lights and regular light on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
 

-->