Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day One...6/9/2008

Well lets start from the beggining...

I went to Petland just to check to see if my Blue Moorii had come in yet. My fish-guy Mark let me know they had come in about a week ago but they were too small to put in my 45 Gallon so it will be about three weeks for them. I am really looking forward to getting them.

Ok back to the Kribensis... I walked around the store looking for a new fish to add to my 45. Right now I have a Fantail, a Red Blood Parrot, a White Skirt Tetra, a Loach and a Pictus Catfish. Mark showed me around, speaking of Mark he is a terrific fish guy and should be owning his own place rather than work for Petland. I really wouldn't go in there if it wasn't for his amazing knowledge of fish. He knows everything and he doesn't try to sell you anything you are not capable of handling. He is from Africa but he has been all over! He knows his fish. When I show him a picture of a fish I want I don't even have to label it, he automatically knows. I consider myself very luck to have a fish-guy like him. They are hard to find.

Ok now really, back to the Kribensis... I like colorful fish and I think that is what caught my attention at first. The colors on the Kribs are beautiful! They are called diffrent names like Purple Cichlid, Rainbow Krib and Pink Kribensis Cichlid but I think its scientific name says it all...
Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Pelva meaning belly, cromis meaning color and Pulcher meaning beautiful and when I first saw them swimming around that is the first word that come out of my mouth... beautiful.

When I asked Mark about them he pointed out to me that they were paired breeders ready to start spawning. I kinda jumped back a little bit because I had never bred fish before and I told him that I don't think they would be safe in my 45 Gal Tank. He knew I had a 10 gallon tank and he suggested, if I really wanted to, I could add them to that tank. I have three Neon Tetras and 3 Serpe Tetras and they are all community fish so I wasn't worrie
d. The two Kribs are bigger of all the fish I have in the 10 Gal. I decided that I would go for it. I was really excited and I still am as you can see, I wouldn't start a blog about just anything. Mark scooped a pair up that were already spawning and ready and he gave me a few tips on breeding. I bought a small(very small in fact) Eygyptian type vase for your fish tank. I wanted to get a bigger one but even though Mark gives me good deals on fish, Petland itself does not lower prices on their merchandise.

When I got home I acclimated the Kribs with my usual technique, 20 minutes in plastic bag floating in tank water while adding tank water to the bag. It went fine as usual.

I am going to do some research on the Kribs like Mark suggested. There is plenty room in the tank and I am trying to think of better ways to create a home for the female to lay her eggs. I am worried that the silly little Egyptian Vase isn't big enough for 50 to 100 eggs.

Until tommorow... Just keep Swimming!!!
Nessxxx


Picture of 10 Gallon Tank before the Kribs...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
 

-->